CONNECTING TO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE:
Before reading, ask students:
- ‘Have you ever been to the zoo?’
- ‘What animals do they have at the zoo?’
- ‘Can we have a pet lion at home? Can a pet cat live at the zoo? Why not?!’
MAKING CONNECTIONS DURING READING:
- Ask them what noise they think each animal makes while signing.
As you read each page, ask:
- ‘How do we sign this animal? Why do you think this the sign for (insert animal)?’
- ‘What does (*animal) like to eat?’
- ‘What does (*animal) like to do?’
POST READING ACTIVITIES:
- Talk about the different animals. What was your favourite animal?
- Can they remember the signs? What was the sign for meerkat? What was the sign for turtle?
- Create animal masks out of paper plates or click here for printed templates
- Sing a song: I WENT TO VISIT THE ZOO
- Get the class to contribute to making their own zoo book with their favourite zoo animals.